Friday 22 March 2013

CONFIDENTIAL MEMO


It was June 1992.I was working as Asst.Aerodrome Officer in Calicut,Kerala,South India.,which is located in a hill top in a remote village far away from the city.Since the airport commissioned a few years before,no proper public transport and accommodation facility/hotels etc.. were available nearby.Ofcourse now it has become an International Airport with all facilities.

I was picked up by the airport director for a new assignment-For the post of Airport Terminal Manager.I was responsible for passenger welfare,VVIP handling and co-ordination with other agencies working in airport.

One day the political parties declared a "Bharat Bandh".This means a total paralysis of the administration system,all shops closed,no vehicles will run and practically a Blackout day.
So many passengers came to airport the previous day.Some spent their time in the passenger lounge.I had the toughest times in making arrangements for them..A few were accommodated with friends , A few were accommodated in nearby towns taking the risk of using friends' vehicle.

At last one lady and her daughter came from Germany.How to accommodate them?There was no way out.I said I would do something,without having a planWhere shall this lady and her young daughter stay during night in such a situation.?!No space anywhere.This situation can happen to everybody ;to ur own sister or daughter without the supportof a man.Finally after my office hours ,I told the caretaker to bring one cot and bed from any source and put it in my office.Food for them also made ready before i went home.Bathrooms were nearby.

Next day morning when i came to my office I could find them happy and ready for departure.They thanked me many times and tried to offer me some gifts.I flatly refused saying that whatever little things i did for them was my duty only.
After a month i received a letter from her husband in Germany that it was a great thing i did for his family at that critical time.

After two more months,I was informed by the officer-in-chief that I have a" confidential Memo" from headquarters.My hands were shivering.I thought-To my knowledge,i never did a mistake,never misbehaved with passengers and always dealt with VVIPs,Ministers,Members of Parliament,senoir judges etc..nicely only.The only thing i did without permission from the office was accommodating the those lady passengers in my office.Somebody might have informed the higher-ups.

If the CHQ is unhappy with the explanation to my memo,they may chare sheet me and initiate a punishment.I prayed to God and with all my strength opened the memo.Tears rolled out of my eyes.I could not believe my eyes.It was an appreciation letter from the chairman (CEO) that what i did for the German Ladies that night was a step that has held high the image of our organisation in the international stage and only a few do such things in critical stages.I heaved a sigh of relief and felt happy with my new assignment of Airport Terminal Manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment